With 50 years of clinical experience, Dr. Dorian (aka Dori) Mintzer is the co-author of the award-winning book, The Couples Retirement Puzzle: The 10 Must-Have Conversations for Creating an Amazing New Life Together. Today, Dr. Mintzer teaches us how to revolutionize our retirement. First, we chat about how retirement has significantly changed over the years. No longer is retirement the end of your life. Instead, retirement is just a new beginning. We talk about how to make that new beginning something meaningful. Plus, Dr. Mintzer reveals some of the must-have conversations for creating a new life together in retirement with your partner.
In This Episode:
- [04:25] How the notion of retirement really has been changing over the years.
- [08:45] Retirement is a great time to consider what interests you have.
- [11:50] Finances and health are the two most significant pieces of the retirement puzzle, and they impact everything else.
- [16:10] Examples of seniors who have revolutionized their retirement.
- [21:50] The importance of using your wisdom for mentorship in retirement.
- [25:05] About The 10 Must-Have Conversations for Creating an Amazing New Life Together.
- Retirement is a transition in your life; think about what you want the next stage of your life to look like.
- When you retire, you can grow, learn, evolve, and explore.
- Consider your future hobbies before retiring; open yourself up to this idea of new beginnings and possibilities.
- Build some aspects of connection, engagement, and purpose into your life during retirement.
Meet Dr. Dori Mintzer
With 50 years of clinical experience, Dr. Dorian (aka Dori) Mintzer is a speaker/retirement transition, money, relationship, and executive coach/ therapist/ consultant/ writer. She weaves adult development, holistic life planning and positive psychology into programs that tap and shape clients’ energies into roadmaps for wiser, more enhanced living. She hosts the popular monthly Revolutionize your Retirement Interview with Expert’s Series on the 4th Tuesday of each month, open to professionals and the public. She provides Keynotes, breakout sessions, webinars and podcasts and facilitates workshops for professional and community groups.
Dorian is co-author of the award winning book, The Couples Retirement Puzzle: The 10 Must-Have Conversations for Creating an Amazing New Life Together, co-producer of The Career Playbook: Second Half Plays and has contributed to a number of other books. She has been featured in a variety of print and digital outlets such as the NY Times, WSJ, USA Today, CNN Money, Forbes, Next Avenue, The Financial Times, NPR, ABC Evening News and the Today Show and has given a Ted X talk focused on “Embracing your Bonus Years: A Time to Learn, Grow and Evolve.”