Dr. Nicole Didyk is the founder of “The Wrinkle,” a website and YouTube channel that helps you make the connections you need to age successfully. This episode is all about something that is on everyone’s minds but rarely talked about: sex. We have a profound and frank discussion about the ridiculous stereotypes regarding sexuality in older adults. For instance, we talk about the stereotype that older people showing affection is “cute” and “childish” – these thoughts are merely ageist! Plus, we chat about what a sexual relationship can be like with someone who also happens to be a caregiver.
In This Episode:
- [02:40] About Dr. Nicole Didyk.
- [04:55] There is ageism in our society when it comes to sexuality and older adults.
- [07:55] The reasons there should be more awareness about sexuality in the older age group.
- [10:00] How sex will change as people get older.
- [12:40] Often, one partner will become a caregiver for the other. We talk about how this will affect the sexual relationship.
- [18:30] Dr. Nicole Didyk answers this question: how common is sex in long-term care facilities?
- [22:30] Advice for having conversations with your elderly parents about their sex lives.
- When doctors don’t ask about sexual health, they won’t hear about challenges and miss out on giving seniors comprehensive healthcare.
- High blood pressure, diabetes, and cardiac disease can affect sexual function as well.
- As we get older, some things stay the same regarding sexual health. For instance, the need for connection and the interactions that we have will stay consistent.
- Sometimes you have to take your sexual needs into your own hands.
Meet Dr. Nicole Didyk
Dr. Nicole Didyk received her medical degree at McMaster University where she also did her training in Internal Medicine and Geriatrics, and a Masters in Education. She has a busy community Geriatric Medicine practice in Southern Ontario, Canada, and is also the founder of “The Wrinkle”, a website and YouTube channel that helps you make the connections you need to age successfully.