How Residents Can Prevent Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Carbon monoxide, or CO, is a dangerous odorless and colorless gas that can cause sudden illness or death. This gas is found in combustion fumes, such as those produced by cars, gas ranges, heating systems, and stoves. Any person or animal in an enclosed space, or semi-enclosed space, which lacks proper ventilation can be poisoned by breathing CO, as it can build up from any of the aforementioned sources. CO poisoning can unfortunately be hard to diagnose as the symptoms can be similar to other illnesses, but if you think you may be inhaling this dangerous gas, here are some of the more common symptoms to look out for: headache; dizziness; nausea; chest pain; vomiting; confusion; and loss of consciousness due to high levels of CO. The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) report that annually more than 400 Americans die from unintentional CO poisoning, more than 20,000 visit the emergency room, and more than 4,000 are hospitalized. These alarming statistics show how common CO poisoning can be, so knowing how to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning can save you and your family’s life. The following are tips offered by the CDC to help you and your loved ones[…..]